POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Old Raytracing Programs : Re: Old Raytracing Programs Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:31:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Raytracing Programs
From: Brandan Whearty
Date: 28 Oct 2000 17:35:22
Message: <39FB4642.E4CFD7E3@domain.com>
David wrote:

> If you do render something with that PowerBook, you will only do it once. If
> you hurry. Why on earth do you still have the thing anyway? Hay, they just
> dropped the price on iBooks! :-)
> ______

I use the PB 100 for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it was free, rescued
from the trash at a law firm where I was doing an internship a couple of years
back.  Free stuff...cool.  I also got ahold of a pair of huge Lead Acid battery
packs that had been sitting in a store room in Ohio for a decade or so, so when
I'm on the road, I get between 12 and 15 hours of use depending on the processor
intensity of what I'm doing.  I travel a lot for long periods of time since I'm
in speech and debate, so a laptop is nice.  And if my PB100 gets wrecked or
stepped on, so what?  I kid you not, I have two others that I picked up for a
chump change as spare parts.  Should I buy an iBook?  Heck yeah.  Can I afford
to?  Not without cutting into my beer money.  And plus, System 6.0.7 RULES! :-)

I'm not planning on rendering the Sistine Chapel or anything.  Mostly, what I
want to be able to do is make sure the scene file at least compiles and maybe get
a few simple black and white prerenders to make sure the scene shows what I want
it to.  When I do my real rendering, I crank up the Rev. A iMac, go to sleep, and
when I wake up the next day it's done.  Usually.

By the way, does anyone know how to further compress the Quicktime Movies that
POVRAY 3 cranks out?  I've got a couple of simple animations I'd like to post to
a website, but they're freaking huge files.

Thanks,
-- Brandan

<snip>